We would like to take this opportunity to thank all educators and guest presenters for your energy and active participation on the October 24th Curriculum Day. There were many diverse learning events that took place in various locations across Mission Public School District.
Here are some highlights:
- Peggy Janicki (SD34) presented an interactive Sto:lo government session to Grade 3 -12 educators.
- Siwal Si’wes and Three Crows Productions offered two tours of St. Mary’s Residential School. Read about the experience in a CBC article outlining the Residential School Tours.
- Watch the CBC news coverage for Mission’s Orange Shirt Day and Residential School Tour.
POPARD Super-Worksop: Self Regulation Skills for School
- This two-day learning session was offered to Educational Assistants, LST, ISP, High and Low incidence support Teachers.
Mission Secondary School:
- Grade 10-12 teacher facilitators at MSS planned a comprehensive agenda for colleagues to begin exploring the redesigned curriculum. Please read their agenda and presentation for a glimpse of the learning opportunities that were offered.
Teacher librarians in MPSD now have curriculum support time as part of their role in each school. They have been sharing resources at staff meetings and on the October 24th curriculum day.
These included: ERAC resources, Siwal Si’wes Digital Library, SD 75 Elementary Virtual Learning Commons and Curriculum Connections. They are also collaborating with classroom teachers to implement the redesigned curriculum.
Roundtable on Assessment:
As we implement the K-9 redesigned curriculum, we would like to offer some district-wide opportunities to share and learn from one another about assessment practices. During the week of November 28th – December 1st we will be holding three roundtable-style learning sessions on the topic of assessment.
The goal of the first session is to get feedback from teachers about assessment/reporting concerns, gather ideas for support, and brainstorm future directions.
Please see the details for groups, dates, locations, and times below. Snacks and refreshments will be provided.
We hope that you can join us for these learning sessions and look forward to listening to your ideas.
K-3 teachers: Monday, November 28th, Riverside College, 3:00-4:30
4-6 teachers: Tuesday, November 29th, Riverside College, 3:00-4:30
7-9 teachers: Thursday, December 1st, Hatzic Middle School, 3:30-5:00
We will hold a second round of learning sessions again in January/February 2017 with the aim of sharing assessment practices and drafting ideas for common assessments in MPSD.