Exciting news for K-12 Educators:
We are once again offering Professional Development Learning Sessions for all staff in lieu of the May 18th, 2018 Professional Development Day. Please see the four professional learning opportunities listed below (in chronological order) and sign up using the link at the bottom of the page. Attendance at two (2.5 hour) sessions or four of the Set B.C. sessions is considered the equivalent of a full day.
- December 5th, 2017: “Stories of Truth” Curriculum exploration session featuring the film “Reconciliation in Mission” (2.5 hours) (K-12)
This session takes place from 3:30pm – 6:00pm on Tuesday, December 5, 2017, at Ecole Heritage Park Middle School.
This event will begin with a fully catered Salmon feast in the Cafetorium at 3:30pm and will contain exploratory sessions of Mission’s locally developed residential school curriculum and resource website. This session will also be the official release of “Reconciliation in Mission”, a learning resource documenting two elders’ journey towards reconciliation and the Mission school district’s residential school tour experience. The Elders / Survivors featured in the film will be present at this event and will speak to their experience in collaborating with the Mission school District in the making of these resources.
3:30 pm – Welcome song and Salmon Feast in Cafetorium
4:30 pm – Website Curriculum Walk through K-12
5:00 pm – “Reconciliation in Mission” release
5:40 pm – Response from Witnesses featured in the film.
6:00 pm – Honour song and Closing
2. January – March: SET BC Four Part Series: Riverside College
∗ Each session is limited to 30 participants.
(Attendance at two sessions equals 1/2 day and four sessions equals a full day as in-lieu time for the May 18th Pro D Day) Please note: Not all sessions apply to all grade level educators.
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL) (K-12) January 15th 3:30pm – 4:15pm
2. UDL Jan 29th 3:30pm – 4:15pm (K-12)
3. Digital Story Telling (K-7): Feb. 28th 3:30-4:45, 4:45-5:00 additional resources *Sorry, this session is full.*
4. Overview of Math Apps (K-9): March 14th 3:30-4:45, 4:45-5:00 additional resources *Sorry, this session is full.*
3. February 27, 2018: Critical Thinking and the Redesigned Curriculum with Stefan Stipp (2.5 hours) (K-12)
(3:30 – 6:00, Heritage Park Middle School)
Stefan will share strategies and resources that connect critical thinking with the redesigned curriculum.
4. April 23rd and May 14th, 2018: Building Thinking Classrooms. (Grade 7-12) Attendees must attend both sessions. (2.5 hours each)
Peter Liljedahl, Professor of Mathematics, Simon Fraser University, is offering two sessions for 7-12 Math and Science Educators. Dr. Liljedahl is a former high school mathematics teacher who has kept his research interest and activities close to the classroom. His research interests are creativity, insight, and discovery in mathematics teaching and learning; the role of the affective domain on the teaching and learning of mathematics; the professional growth of mathematics teachers; mathematical problem solving; numeracy; and engaging student thinking. He consults regularly with schools, school districts, and ministries of education on issues of teaching and learning, assessment, and numeracy.
This session is targeted for Grade 7-12 math educators. Space is limited to 30 participants.
(3:30-6:00, Heritage Park Middle School)
Click here to register for sessions: