K-6 Digital Resources:
Mission Teacher Librarians have created a Virtual Learning Commons to provide opportunities for students, educators and parents to access high quality digital learning resources and experiences. The resources support different ways of learning and connect with the redesigned British Columbia curriculum.
Locally developed Residential School Curriculum Website for students and teachers from Kindergarten through to grade 12.
The Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada presented its 94 Calls to Action in December 2015. Call to Action #63 (i) included: Developing and Implementing Kindergarten to Grade Twelve Curriculum and learning resources on Aboriginal Peoples in Canadian history, and the history and legacy of Residential Schools. This website is a direct result of this call to action. The goal of this effort is to build student capacity for intercultural understanding, empathy and mutual respect. Please visit https://greatspirithand.com and continue your journey towards Reconciliation Today!
Mission Public School District has access to various resources in the BCDC. Each school has its own login and password.
Contact your Teacher Librarian to get the log-in information. There are many great K-6 resources including:
Access to more EBSCO Resources:
Examples include: Canadian Points of View, Canadian Student Research Centre, Explora Primary (Canada), Explora Canada.
Access EBSCO Magazines :
- Jack and Jill: Health focus (US) (Ages 7-10)
- Ask: Science focus (US)
- Canadian Geographic: (Physical, Human, Historical Geography, Earth Science, Social Studies)
- ChildArt: (US) (Ages 8-12) (Critical Thinking, Creativity)
- Cricket: (US) (Ages 6-14) (Literacy, Promotes love of reading)
- Fun for Kidz: (US) (Children’s Interst)
- Highlights: (US) (Children’s Interest) (Connections to Science, Arts, Social Studies)
- Horse and Rider (US): (Equestrian sports) (Physical Education, Passion Projects, Animal Science)
- Kayak: Canada’s History Magazine for Kids (Ages 7-11) (Social Studies)
Access to a list of EBSCO Databases:
“POPEI is a British Columbia Ministry of Education Provincial Resource Program with an outreach focus. POPEI provides services to educators in BC public school districts and Group I and II independent schools. Our support is delivered through in-services, networking, resources and eLearning opportunities.”