Click here for Provincial Outreach Online Learning Opportunities
Sign Up for MPSD 2017/2018 Professional Learning Series: (Several spaces have recently opened up for K-9 Math Apps on March 14th.) Click here for Registration Form
*New* Taking Making Into the Classroom Free Online Pro-d Course: (3 hour, 5 hour and 8 hour options available. To count as in-lieu of May Pro-D, please submit the certificate of completion to L. Jepsen.)
Click on the image below to learn more:
We are once again offering Professional Development Learning Sessions for all staff in lieu of the May 18th, 2018 Professional Development Day. Please see the four professional learning opportunities listed below (in chronological order) and sign up by clicking on the registration form (above). Attendance at two (2.5 hour) sessions or four of the Set B.C. sessions is considered the equivalent of a full day.
- December 5th, 2017: “Stories of Truth” Curriculum exploration session featuring the film “Reconciliation in Mission” (2.5 hours) (K-12)
This session takes place from 3:30pm – 6:00pm on Tuesday, December 5, 2017, at Ecole Heritage Park Middle School.
This event will begin with a fully catered Salmon feast in the Cafetorium at 3:30pm and will contain exploratory sessions of Mission’s locally developed residential school curriculum and resource website. This session will also be the official release of “Reconciliation in Mission”, a learning resource documenting two elders’ journey towards reconciliation and the Mission school district’s residential school tour experience. The Elders / Survivors featured in the film will be present at this event and will speak to their experience in collaborating with the Mission school District in the making of these resources.
3:30 pm – Welcome song and Salmon Feast in Cafetorium
4:30 pm – Website Curriculum Walk through K-12
5:00 pm – “Reconciliation in Mission” release
5:40 pm – Response from Witnesses featured in the film.
6:00 pm – Honour song and Closing
2. January – March: SET BC Four Part Series: Riverside College
∗ Each session is limited to 30 participants.
(Attendance at two sessions equals 1/2 day and four sessions equals a full day as in-lieu time for the May 18th Pro D Day) Please note: Not all sessions apply to all grade level educators.
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL) (K-12) January 15th 3:30pm – 4:45pm
2. UDL Jan 29th 3:30pm – 4:45pm (K-12)
3. Digital Story Telling (K-7): Feb. 28th 3:30-4:45, 4:45-5:00 additional resources *Sorry, this session is full.*
4. Overview of Math Apps (K-9): March 14th 3:30-4:45, 4:45-5:00 additional resources
3. February 27, 2018: Critical Thinking and the Redesigned Curriculum with Stefan Stipp (2.5 hours) (K-12)
(3:30 – 6:00, Heritage Park Middle School)
Stefan will share strategies and resources that connect critical thinking with the redesigned curriculum.
4. April 23rd and May 14th, 2018: Building Thinking Classrooms. (Grade 7-12) Attendees must attend both sessions. (2.5 hours each)
Peter Liljedahl, Professor of Mathematics, Simon Fraser University, is offering two sessions for 7-12 Math and Science Educators. Dr. Liljedahl is a former high school mathematics teacher who has kept his research interest and activities close to the classroom. His research interests are creativity, insight, and discovery in mathematics teaching and learning; the role of the affective domain on the teaching and learning of mathematics; the professional growth of mathematics teachers; mathematical problem solving; numeracy; and engaging student thinking. He consults regularly with schools, school districts, and ministries of education on issues of teaching and learning, assessment, and numeracy.
This session is targeted for Grade 7-12 math educators. Space is limited to 30 participants.
(3:30-6:00, Heritage Park Middle School)
2017/2018 Dates to Remember:
Past Professional Development Opportunities (Fall 2017):
District Curriculum Day – K-6 Offerings/Agendas:
SNAP (Student Numeracy Assessment & Practice)
Presenters: Christine Blessin and Kathleen Mitchell (SD 33, Chilliwack)
Location: Heritage Park Cafetorium
Shape of the Day:
9:00 – 11:30 SNAP for Primary Educators
12:30-2:30 SNAP for Intermediate Educators
All About Me: Career Education Resource
Presenter: Sierra Holtzheuser
Location: Clarke Theatre
Shape of the Day:
9:00 – 11:30 All About Me for Intermediate Teachers
12:30-2:30 All About Me for Primary Teachers
Additional Resources: British Columbia Teacher Resource Guides
Additional lesson plans, video tutorials and webinars are available on the myBlueprint Support page.
Middle Schools, Fraserview and Mission Secondary School are on site working on curriculum related themes including assessment, student engagement and resources to support the redesigned curriculum.
Riverside College: November 23rd, 2017
Pulling Together Conference
Rebekaah Stenner’s JUMP Math Sessions
- Using Bonus Questions to Engage Every Learner: Wednesday, October 11th
- Introduction to Confidence Building Units: Thursday, October 12th
- Introduction to JUMP Math for New Staff and TTOCs: Monday, October 16th
- Introduction to New Editions (Grades 1 & 2): Wednesday, October 18th
- Introduction to JUMP Math Problem Solving Lessons: Thursday, October 19th
- SNAP Follow-Up Session: Wednesday, October 25th
- Mental Math (K-6): Thursday, October 26th
MPSD Early Learning Day:
- Strong Start facilitators and Kindergarten teachers learned about ‘Math for Early Learners’ and Early Literacy initiatives
Career Education Resource Training: All About Me (K-6) and myBlueprint (7-12)
myBlueprint offered a series of live webinars between August 23rd – September 8th. Our Partner Success Manager, Sierra Holtzheuser, sent this message about the webinars:
“These sessions serve as a great refresher before the beginning of the school year, and will also introduce the brand new Teacher Account (K-12) and All About Me 3.0 Student Account (K-6) to your schools.”