Core Competencies: **Resources below added October 2019.** (Source:Learn Magazine)
Video 1: Introduction Page
This video explores the Introduction page on BC’s New Curriculum website, which provides an overview of the three Core Competencies and explains the lifelong development of competence in these areas.
Video 2: Facets, Profiles and Connections
A Core Competency is made up of two or more sub-competencies, each of which contains smaller parts such as facets, profiles and connections. This video reviews the three broad Core Competencies and their sub-competencies and navigates through the Facets, Profiles and Connections tab for one of the sub-competencies.
Video 3: Illustrations
Illustrations are examples of how students have demonstrated their developing competence. These examples can include student work samples, student and teacher reflections, interviews, teacher observations, learning stories, photos and videos. This video explores the Illustrations tab of a subcompetency.
Video 4: Resources
Several resources have been developed to support Core Competency development. This video identifies what has been made available to teachers on the Resources page.
- See Documents page for details about each of the sub-competencies, posters and more.
MPSD Adapted Presentation: Click on the image below to access information about meaningful student self-assessment of the core competencies.
(Original Source: Pat Horstead & Curriculum/Assessment Network, November 29th, 2016)
Provincial Resources: BC Ministry of Education
- Supporting the Self-Assessment and Reporting of Core Competencies
- See Documents in Curriculum Starting Guide for details about each competency. (Updated November 2019.)
- Tip Sheet: Meaningful Core Competency Prompts
- Image Gallery: Core Competency Prompts (from Curriculum Assessment Network, Nov 2016)
- Print Resource: Creating Cultures of Thinking (Available in every school library)
- MPSD Tip Sheet: Using the Language of Thinking
Posters/Organizers: (Thank you to the districts sharing these resources online.) These might be useful to display in your class or use as a reference tool for planning learning experiences.
- Core Competency Overview with “I Can” statements (SD44, January 2020)
- Core Competency Curriculum Hub (SD44, Bilingual K-12 posters, self-assessment templates, teacher resources and more.)
- Successful Learner Trait Framework (bilingual posters, letters to parents, self-assessment templates)
- Student Friendly Core Competencies Overview (Source: POPEI, explains what the core competencies are; in language aimed at primary students.)
- Core Competencies Facets Summary (quick 2-page visual summary of the 3 main competencies and the 20 facets) (Source: POPEI)
- Core Competency Book List (SD 62)
- Core Competency Posters (BC Ministry of Education, March 2017)
- Core Competency Profile Posters (SD 46)
- Core Competency Learning Targets (Society of Christian Schools in BC) (see newsletter article)
- Core Competencies Postcard (SD 35)
- Core Competencies in Science (BCSSA presentation, see slide 11)
- Flow Chart (SD 23)
- French Intermediate Posters (SD 62)
- French Middle & Secondary Posters (SD 62)
- French Primary Posters (SD 62)
- Graphic Organizer (SD 23)
- Intermediate Posters (SD 62)
- K-5 Math – Curricular and Core Competencies (J. Novakowski, SD 38)
- Middle & Secondary Posters (SD 62)
- Primary Posters (SD 62)
Sample Assessments/Templates: (Thank you to the districts sharing these resources online.)
- Self-Assessment for Complex Communicators (SD 44)
- Walton Elementary Learning Journal/Prompts (SD 44)
- CALM Curriculum – Core Competencies Template (FVCDC)
- Captain Communication (L. Tucker, S. Raitt, SD 67)
- Dewdney Elementary – Personal/Social Sample
- Edwin S. Richards – Thinking example (inspired by Captain Communication)
- “It’s not about the checklist” (blog post with lesson ideas, April 22, 2017 by K. Vogstad)
- K-3 Student Reflection & Self-Assessment Tool (POPEI)
- Kids, Core Competencies and Self-Assessment (L. O’Reilley as guest blogger on A.Gear site)
- Makerspace Inquiry Feedback (S. Becker, SD 67)
- Math (Grade One) – Practicing Student Self Assessment (A. Moura)
- Personal Awareness & Responsibility Template (SD 60)
- Reflection Prompts (SD 62)
- Reflection Sheets (SD 62)
- Science 9 Learning Goals (S. Becker, SD 67)
- Self Assessment Sample (SD 43)
- Self-Assessment Guide – Secondary (SD36)
- Self-Assessment Templates (SD36)
- Self Assessment Template (SD 62)
- Social Studies 7 – Laws and Values (Adapted from Hayhurst and Nault, SD 23)
- Secondary School Example (See Video Below) (SD 35)
Click on the links below to see suggested resources for each of the core competencies.
Return to Resources