Video 1: Introduction Page
This video explores the Introduction page on BC’s New Curriculum website, which provides an overview of the three Core Competencies and explains the lifelong development of competence in these areas.
Video 2: Facets, Profiles and Connections
A Core Competency is made up of two or more sub-competencies, each of which contains smaller parts such as facets, profiles and connections. This video reviews the three broad Core Competencies and their sub-competencies and navigates through the Facets, Profiles and Connections tab for one of the sub-competencies.
Video 3: Illustrations
Illustrations are examples of how students have demonstrated their developing competence. These examples can include student work samples, student and teacher reflections, interviews, teacher observations, learning stories, photos and videos. This video explores the Illustrations tab of a sub competency.
Link to Illustrations page on Ministry of Education Curriculum site.
Video 4: Resources
Several resources have been developed to support Core Competency development. This video identifies what has been made available to teachers on the Resources page.
- See Documents page for details about each of the sub-competencies, posters and more. (Updated November 2019.)
**New 2023 MPSD Core Competency Documents and Profiles**. See 2023 Assessment – MPSD Templates.
(Thank you to the districts sharing these resources online.) These might be useful to display in your class or use as a reference tool for planning learning experiences.
- Core Competency Overview with “I Can” statements (SD44, January 2020)
- Core Competency Curriculum Hub (SD44, Bilingual K-12 posters, self-assessment templates, teacher resources and more.)
- Primary Core Competency Posters (reflects finalized core competencies in 2019, SD62)
- Intermediate Core Competency Posters (reflects finalized core competencies in 2019, SD62)
- Middle/Secondary Core Competency Posters (reflects finalized core competencies in 2019, SD62)
- Sub competencies all in one page poster (reflects finalized core competencies in 2019, SD62)
- Sub-Competency and Profiles posters (Ministry of Education, 2019)
- Developing and Supporting K-12 Student Reflection and Self-Assessment of Core Competencies (Ministry of Education)
- Core Competency Table Tents (reflects finalized core competencies in 2019, SD62)
- Core Competencies in Science (BCSSA presentation, see slide 11)
- K-5 Math – Curricular and Core Competencies (J. Novakowski, SD 38)
Sample Assessments/Teaching Resources:
Locally Developed Resources: June 2020 (MPSD Curriculum Team)
- Elementary – Fillable flower of I Can statements from each competency with colours to reflect how students feel about their development. (English & French)
- Intermediate/Middle/Secondary – Big Idea: What has learning been like for me over the last few months. (Graphic inspired by Surrey School District)
- Middle/Secondary – Core Competencies Reflection 2019/2020 in MS Forms (Click here for a form you can duplicate and use as your own.)
- “It’s not about the checklist” (blog post with lesson ideas, April 22, 2017 by K. Vogstad)
- Kids, Core Competencies and Self-Assessment (L. O’Reilley as guest blogger on A.Gear site)
- Video: Intro to Self-Assessment (SD 36)
- Teacher Resources and Lessons (SD 36)
- Self-Assessment for Complex Communicators (SD 44)
- Walton Elementary Learning Journal/Prompts (SD 44)
- CALM Curriculum – Core Competencies Template (FVCDC)
- Captain Communication (L. Tucker, S. Raitt, SD 67)
- Dewdney Elementary – Personal/Social Sample
- Edwin S. Richards – Thinking example (inspired by Captain Communication)
- K-3 Student Reflection & Self-Assessment Tool (POPEY)
- Makerspace Inquiry Feedback (S. Becker, SD 67)
- Personal Awareness & Responsibility Template (SD 60)
- Science 9 Learning Goals (S. Becker, SD 67)
- Self Assessment Sample (SD 43)
- Self-Assessment Guide – Secondary (SD36)
- Social Studies 7 – Laws and Values (Adapted from Hayhurst and Nault, SD 23)
- Secondary School Example (See Video Below) (SD 35)
(Thank you to the districts sharing these resources online.)
Click on the links below to see suggested resources for each of the core competencies.
MPSD Adapted Presentation: Click on the image below to access information about meaningful student self-assessment of the core competencies.
(Original Source: Pat Horstead & Curriculum/Assessment Network, November 29th, 2016)
- Tip Sheet: Meaningful Core Competency Prompts
- Image Gallery: Core Competency Prompts (from Curriculum Assessment Network, Nov 2016)
- Print Resource: Creating Cultures of Thinking (Available in every school library)
- MPSD Tip Sheet: Using the Language of Thinking
Return to Resources